August 14, 2012 2:32pm
Hillel leaders used a recent conference in St. Louis to roll out the organization’s recently approved strategic plan, which pushes the organization even further from relying solely on the traditional model of improving programming inside the walls of campus Hillels for Jewishly engaged students.
August 14, 2012 1:13pm
An initiative is under way to transform an ancient and largely forgotten holiday into a New Year for Animals devoted to considering how Jews can improve their relationships with animals.
December 19, 2007 10:00am
U.S. Army Capt. Johnie Bath says the Shema every morning, every night and during those frequent “hairy situations” he encounters in Iraq.
April 10, 2006 9:00am
Herman Spertus, an entrepreneur, businessman, Jewish communal leader, artist and patron of the arts, died April 5 at the age of 105.
August 12, 2003 9:00am
A Chicago bank executive who praised Hitler´s economic policies in an article published in the bank´s newsletter has apologized for failing to take into account the Nazi leader´s anti-Semitism and genocide.
July 16, 2002 9:00am
A deputy sheriff and Orthodox Jew is back on the job wearing his yarmulke, and a Muslim who works in the sheriff’s office is allowed to wear her headscarf to work as part of an accord reached by Illinois’ Cook County Sherrif’s Department.
July 15, 2002 9:00am
A U.S. Army veteran and his wife are helping to inaugurate Project Impact, a program that has been called a GI Bill for combat veterans of the Israel Defense Force.
December 20, 2000 10:00am
CHICAGO, Dec. 18 (JTA) Ignoring the advice of clergy and community leaders, about 400 protesters showed up at a Ku Klux Klan rally here over the weekend that ended in a series of skirmishes between police and counterdemonstrators. Police kept an angry crowd 500 yards away from the approximately 20 Klan members during 45…
OpinionWe have seen the future, and it looks Orthodox
- That time Rachel McAdams tried to go undercover as an Orthodox Jew
- ‘Hot cop’ from Hurricane Irma selfie suspended over anti-Semitic Facebook posts
- Chief Rabbinate telling more and more Israelis they aren’t Jews
- Marc Zuckerberg posts photo giving century-old kiddush cup to daughter
- Anne Frank’s diary is now a comic book
- Israeli army goes to war against smoking
- Trump ignores Israeli-Palestinian peace in UN speech, says US cannot ‘abide’ Iran nuclear deal
- Neo-Nazi group marches through Swedish city in run-up to planned Yom Kippur demonstration
- Netanyahu praises Trump’s defense of Israel as UN General Assembly convenes
- Iran’s supreme leader warns world powers against pressuring his country