October 17, 2006 9:00am
For the People of the Book, literacy is a mitzvah, a sanctified behavior that draws us closer to God and the Jewish community. But mere phonetics won’t cut it, writes Richard Wagner.
Jewish and Israel News in Your Inbox
- PA condemns Israel for killing 2 Palestinian attackers
- Why is a Conservative synagogue abandoning the second day of yontif?
- Why Israelis are fearing a third intifada
- PA condemns Israel for killing of Palestinian attackers
- Spain grants citizenship to 4,302 descendants of Sephardic Jews
- Actor James Franco has bar mitzvah