February 24, 2016 5:34pm
WASHINGTON (JTA) – Georgetown University will create a permanent program on the forensic study of the Holocaust using a new $10 million gift. The donation to the Washington, D.C., school is from Norman and Irma Braman, a Florida couple who have made large gifts to other universities and hospitals. Norman Braman is founding chairman of…
February 23, 2016 9:32am
WASHINGTON (JTA) – The U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum is seeking messages and personal artifacts from Holocaust survivors for a time capsule to be opened on the museum’s 50th anniversary in 2043. The capsule will be on display in the museum’s David and Fela Shapell Family Collections and Conservation Center in Bowie, Maryland, which is scheduled…
February 19, 2016 1:56pm
WASHINGTON (JTA) – Jewish advocates for the disabled briefed Obama administration officials on barriers to Jewish life for those with disabilities. The two-hour event Thursday was organized by the White House and held at the neighboring Eisenhower Executive Office Building as part of Jewish Disability Awareness and Inclusion Month, an initiative of a number of local…
January 3, 2016 3:12pm
Jews have traditionally been uncomfortable proselytizing, but a Maryland foundation is flouting the taboo by funding outreach programs to non-Jews in an effort to bring them into the fold.
December 30, 2015 12:02pm
The Jewish aid worker feels disassociated from the causes of his five-year incarceration and the resulting fame.
December 23, 2015 6:10am
Members of a bipartisan congressional task force on combating anti-Semitism had written to Hungary’s prime minister with concerns over the plan to memorialize Balint Homan.
December 2, 2015 5:27pm
A companion measure was introduced in the House of Representatives.
November 30, 2015 1:14pm
Tamar Epstein, a central figure in efforts to reform how the Orthodox community deals with recalcitrant husbands, remarried in a process that has come under scrutiny.
November 19, 2015 11:40am
One in 68 Ashkenazi Jews is a carrier of a gene mutation that causes APBD, a frequently misdiagnosed disease.
November 18, 2015 2:54pm
A Washington ceremony hailed the Houses of Life program under the auspices of the Moroccan government for repairing some 12,600 graves.
Stay informed: JTA in your inbox
Jewish and Israel News in Your Inbox
- Rock legend Phil Lesh gathers musician friends for a Grateful Dead Passover
- As Jews flee Belgium, a seder marks a family exodus
- Actress Lea Michele discovers her Greek-Jewish roots
- Sides swap character attacks in trial over Bay Area’s Koret Foundation
- Ex-mayor of London suspended from Labour for saying Hitler was Zionist
- Palestinians riot as Jewish worshippers visit Joseph’s Tomb
- Critical profile of Melania Trump unleashes flood of anti-Semitic abuse on reporter
- Bernie Sanders to lay off ‘hundreds’ of staffers
- Donald Trump: Obama is no friend of Israel
- After weeks of brickbats, Bernie Sanders offers Hillary Clinton a bouquet
- Establishment candidates win Dem Senate nods in Md., Pa.
- Trump sweeps 5 states, Clinton wins 4