September 11, 2006 9:00am
A Jewish composer is making his name in Armenia, thanks in part to a concert of his works that the government sponsored to celebrate minorities.
September 7, 2006 9:00am
The Subbotniks, a rural community in the former Soviet Union who descended from Russian peasants that converted to Judaism two centuries ago, may soon be consigned to the dustbin of history.
August 15, 2006 9:00am
Imported wines and spirits are being kept out of Russian markets this summer, creating a potential problem for religiously observant Russian Jews.
August 10, 2006 9:00am
Armenia’s Jewish community is bracing for a possible wave of anti-Semitism as hundreds of Lebanese Armenians taking refuge from the fighting in southern Lebanon stream into the former Soviet republic.
March 26, 2006 10:00am
The recent uproar in Latvia over a proposed march by veterans of the Nazi SS highlighted the ambivalent relationship the Baltic nation has with its World War II behavior.
January 22, 2006 10:00am
A proposed law in Latvia would return some 200 Jewish-owned properties seized during World War II to the community.
January 11, 2006 10:00am
Four months after an impressive opening ceremony for the JCC in St. Peterbsurg, Russia, the center is fully built but stands empty.
December 5, 2005 10:00am
With most Estonian Jews more comfortable speaking Russian than Estonian, is the country’s Jewish community distancing itself from its fellow citizens?
October 20, 2005 9:00am
A wave of vandalism, coinciding with the start of the Jewish New Year, has hit the Jewish community of St. Petersburg, Russia.
September 20, 2005 9:00am
When my family left the Soviet Union in November 1989, we were among the first wave of Jewish refugee families to reach Kinderdorf, a summer retreat in this small rural Austrian town.
- Muslim civil rights group offers $5,000 reward for information on JCC bomb threats
- Leah Adler, mother of Steven Spielberg and popular restaurateur, dies at 97
- Meet the Jewish couple leading the Trump resistance
- Author JK Rowling helps boost Muslim campaign to repair vandalized Jewish cemetery
- NJ yeshiva alumni, former staff implore graduate Jared Kushner to help halt refugee ban
- After much prodding, Trump condemns anti-Semitism
- Jewish groups seek action from Trump to match his words on anti-Semitism
- Pence visits vandalized cemetery, condemns threats to JCCs
- Muslim campaign raises over $100,000 for vandalized Jewish cemetery
- Jewish governor of Missouri, Muslim activists pitching in to repair vandalized Jewish cemetery
AnalysisTrump, the Jews and the political weaponization of anti-Semitism