Search JTA's historical archive dating back to 1923

News Brief

June 17, 1929
See Original Daily Bulletin From This Date

Chicago’s “loop” synagogue founded to provide Jewish business men in the downtown district with a house of worship where they may attend religious services three times a day, was dedicated here with about 600 local business and professional men participating. The new synagogue has been fitted out on the third floor of the old Oxford Building on 110 N. LaSalle Street.

Rabbi Saul Silver, of Congregation Anshe Sholem, made the dedication address. Alderman Jacob M. Arvey delivered an address in behalf of the city. The new congregation has 600 members. The officers are: Maurice J. Nathanson, president; Archie L. Bernstein and Sol M. Zechman, vice-presidents; Albert Goldberg, financial secretary; Walter J. Bloch, recording secretary; Samuel Barnett, treasurer; Samuel B. Blanksten, chairman of the board of directors.

Regular services will now be held three times a day by Rabbi Martin Baum. The congregation was formed several months ago. Plans for a kosher restaurant in connection with the synagogue are being formulated.

Plans for the establishment of a Jewish national war memorial, dedicated to the memory of all Jews who served in the army, navy or marine corps during the wars of the United States, are being undetraken by the Yarmo-DeVere Post, American Legion of Chicago, commanded by Joseph R. Dorfman.

Samuel Dulsky, president of Oakridge Cemetery, has donated a plot for the burial of Jewish soldiers, and the officials of the post, the committee consisting of Commander Dorfman, H. Rittman and Benjamin L. Smith, vice-commanders, plan the erection of a massive shaft.

It is planned to dedicate the shaft next Armistice Day, with the national, state and city officials participating.

Recommended from JTA