Judenburg, Austria (Jun. 14)
Not a single Jew can be found in this town whose name means “Jews’Town,” and whose coat of arms bears the picture of a hearded Jew.
Hundreds of Italian, Czech, Yugoslav, Hungarian and other refugees are in Judenburg, but there is not one Jew among them. The last of the Jews in this town were ousted by the Nazis in 1938.
A flourishing Jewish community existed here from the 13th to the end of the 15th century, when all Jews were deported from the province of Styria, in which Judenburg is located. Jews began to return to Judenburg in the 19th century, forming a small Jewish community which remained until the Nazis deported all Jewish inhabitants.