The Argentine Supreme Court has ordered a full re-evaluation of the investigation of the March 17, 1992, bombing of the Israeli Embassy.
Along with plans to recall witnesses and review all the investigative procedures used until now, the court said it would look into conflicting reports on the explosion, which left 29 dead and some 100 wounded.
Three witnesses have reported hearing two almost simultaneous explosions, but a dozen others said they only heard one.
The court will also look into allegations that the explosives were brought into the embassy disguised as building materials being used to renovate the 70-year- old building.
So far, investigators have assumed that a car bomb was used.
Unofficially, the court said that Iranian terrorists were suspected of carrying out the attack.
“If that is the case, we’ll need help from abroad,” a court source said in an interview.
“An investigation of international terrorism exceeds our resources,” the source said. “Unless we get help from foreign intelligence services and international institutions, this bombing might become a perfect crime.”
Argentina has come under pressure at home and abroad for its inability to solve the embassy blast and the July 18, 1994, bombing of the Jewish community’s headquarters in Buenos Aires that left 86 dead and 300 wounded.
In February, the Argentine government said it was creating a special police team to investigate the 1994 blast.
The Archive of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency includes articles published from 1923 to 2008. Archive stories reflect the journalistic standards and practices of the time they were published.