Three Yeshivahs on the lower East Side of Manhattan, having a joint enrollment of 1,500 students, have agreed to form one general high school for their pupils, it was announced by W. W. Weintraub, chairman of the executive council of the United Yeshiva Chest, the federation of Jewish parochial schools in Greater New York.
The three schools which have entered into the agreement are: Rabbi Jacob Joseph School, Tefereth Jerusalem Yeshivah, and the Rabbi Solomon Kluger Yeshivah. Hitherto, there were three high schools functioning in each of the three Yeshivahs, which are located within one district. The amalgamation was effected for the purpose of economy in view of the shortage of funds which the Jewish parochial schools in the city are now facing.
The deficit of the ten parochial schools, included within the United Yeshiva Chest amounts to $500,000 annually. A city-wide campaign is now on foot under the chairmanship of Judge Max S. Levine, president, to raise a sufficient fund to cover the shortage.
The Archive of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency includes articles published from 1923 to 2008. Archive stories reflect the journalistic standards and practices of the time they were published.