An eye-witness account of what is described as “the largest Jewish work community” in Poland, is contained in a dispatch from the Polish correspondent of the Hamburger Frendenblatt, a Nazi paper, which was received here today.
At Tarnow, the correspondent writes, about 3,000 Jewish tailors are employed at forced labor for the quartermasters department of the German army. They work under the direct supervision of Nazi military officials. There were formerly 7,000 Jewish tailors in Tarnow, the dispatch states, adding that “the Jews are no longer a decisive element in the business life of the city. All of the 1,350 Jewish-owned enterprises have been taken over by ‘Aryan trustees.'”
The Archive of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency includes articles published from 1923 to 2008. Archive stories reflect the journalistic standards and practices of the time they were published.