June 20, 2002 9:00am
Fifteen non-Jewish Lithuanian girls spend two afternoons a week in a bare, Communist-era classroom learning about a Jewish culture that is all but dead in this tiny Baltic nation.
April 15, 2002 9:00am
A Lithuanian sports association has apologized to the country´s Jewish community for anti-Semitic slogans chanted by fans during a late March basketball game against an Israeli team.
March 27, 2002 10:00am
Jewish leaders from across Eastern Europe remain largely unsatisfied with their governments´ efforts to return communal property and commemorate the Holocaust.
February 24, 2002 10:00am
A recently published book listing the names of Lithuanians who rescued Jews from the Holocaust has sparked a debate between the State Jewish Museum and Lithuanian nationalists.
October 21, 2001 9:00am
VILNIUS, Lithuania, Oct. 21 (JTA) It was 1998, and Dovid Katz was in a tiny Belarussian village recording the personal tales of a frail 79-year-old named Elli Goldfand. After World War II, Goldfand recounted, he returned home to discover he was the town’s only surviving Jew. He visited the local cemetery to recite Kaddish…
- Billy Graham, who championed Israel in public and derided Jews in private, dies at 99
- Florida congressman’s kids are using hamantaschen to help end gun violence
- NRA chief singles out Soros, Bloomberg as ‘socialists’
- Jewish dad of Florida school shooting victim to Trump: ‘It stops here’
- These Jewish women say celebrating Purim in the #MeToo era is different
- Former NBA star Amar’e Stoudemire just launched a line of kosher wines
- Austrian Jewish students disrupt Cabinet minister’s speech calling government ‘not kosher’
- Dutch aid group for Syrians accused of discriminating against job seeker with Jewish ties
- Can Jewish charities do good and make money? Impact investors say yes.
- Canadian rabbi challenges Israel’s Chief Rabbinate over ‘blacklist’
- Israel appoints first female haredi Orthodox judge