A Jewish man was killed in a house explosion in Teaneck, N.J., caused by a gas leak.
Richard Hass, 66, was killed when his house exploded at about 6:30 p.m., police said. Hass lived alone in the home, which was in a modern Orthodox community.
Earlier in the day, a neighbor had called Public Service Electric & Gas to report the smell of gas around the house, according to the Newark Star Ledger.
Three other houses in the vicinity were damaged and one other person was taken to the hospital with minor injuries. Several other houses were evacuated.
“My house shook. I thought one of the electrical boxes across the street had exploded,” Rabbi Yosef Adler, a neighbor who lives around the corner, told the Ledger.