Alleged synagogue bomber removed at Ottawa university

TORONTO (JTA) — An Ottawa university has removed a sociology teacher accused of playing a key role in the 1980 bombing of a Paris synagogue.

Hassan Diab, 55, until Tuesday was teaching a twice-weekly introduction to sociology summer course at Carleton University that is scheduled to meet through the middle of August.

Diab had taught a similar course before at Carleton.

B’nai Brith Canada said in a statement  released Tuesday that it was "deeply disturbed" that Diab, "an alleged terrorist," was teaching "impressionable students" at Carleton.

But later that day, the university issued a terse statement saying that "a full-time faculty member, with direct experience teaching introductory sociology, will immediately replace the current instructor, Hassan Diab."

The university statement said it made the move "in the interest of providing its students with a stable, productive academic environment that is conducive to learning."

The statement concluded that "No further comment will be made regarding this issue."

Diab’s employment emerged in court Monday, when he and his wife, Rania Tfaily, attended a hearing to decide whether evidence seized by police can be sent to French officials as evidence in their case against Diab in the bombing of the Rue Copernic Synagogue.

In January, Diab is scheduled to appear in court to decide if he should be extradited to France to face allegations that he participated in the bombing of the Paris synagogue. Four people were killed and dozens were wounded in the attack.

Diab has been under virtual confinement at home since his arrest late last year, must wear an ankle bracelet, and is not allowed to leave his house unless accompanied by one of five individuals who posted a combined $250,000 in bail bonds.
 

NEXT STORY