JERUSALEM (JTA) — Israel’s Supreme Court rejected a petition to release information about the deal for the release of captured soldier Gilad Shalit.
The court ruled Tuesday that requiring the military to release information about the developing deal would harm security.
"For the time being it is not for us to interfere in deliberations," the ruling said. "Moreover, we are convinced that clear security considerations are to be found in the details that are kept confidential."
The petition was filed last week by the Almagor Terror Victims Association and three bereaved parents who wanted to know if their children’s killers would be included in the prisoner exchange.
"Undoubtedly, the steps being taken to advance Shalit’s release present dilemmas that are difficult and complex from the human, moral and security-related aspects," the decision said.
On Sunday, the state responded to the petition, saying that 980 Palestinians are likely to be freed in at least two stages in order to effect Shalit’s release.
Shalit was captured during a cross-border raid on June 25, 2006. Since then he has been held by Hamas in Gaza.