(JTA) — Bulgaria’s interior minister said he is certain that Hezbollah was behind the deadly 2012 bombing of a tour bus in Burgas.
“All traces lead there,” Tsvetlin Yovchev told journalists Monday, according to the Sofia News Agency. “What can we prove in court is another matter. If you’re asking me if I am certain of this – yes, I am.”
His remarks came several hours after the Bulgarian media reported that the suicide bomber, who detonated explosives on or near an Israeli tour bus on July 19, 2012, outside the Burgas airport, was of Algerian origin and had trained in terrorist camps in South Lebanon. Five Israelis and their Bulgarian bus driver were killed in the attack.
Bulgaria’s chief prosecutor announced in February the discovery of a third suspect.
The two suspects previously identified are believed to be in Lebanon. They are Meliad Farah, 32, an Australian also known as Hussein Hussein, and Hassan el-Hajj Hassan, 25, a Canadian. Both are said to be associated with Hezbollah, the Lebanon-based terrorist group, and hold Lebanese citizenship.
Hezbollah has denied involvement in the attack.