November 28, 2001 10:00am
This month´s elections for the assembly of Paris´ most important Jewish institution were dominated by community security, following a resurgence of anti-Semitic aggression this month around Paris and in the southern port city of Marseilles.
November 5, 2001 10:02am
PARIS, Nov. 5 (JTA) Jews in Marseille have been left in a state of shock after vandals burned down part of a Jewish elementary school in the southern port city. On Oct. 28, two trailers used as classrooms at the Pardes Jewish School in Marseille were destroyed before firefighters could control the flames. A…
October 19, 2001 9:00am
PARIS, Oct. 21 (JTA) To stroll through parts of the 19th and 20th districts of Paris on a Friday evening or a Saturday afternoon is to encounter a thriving Jewish community. Since the beginning of September, however, insecurity and mistrust have disrupted the Sabbath tranquility for members of this predominantly Sephardic Jewish community. During…
July 24, 2001 9:00am
PARIS, July 24 (JTA) French student groups and anti-racist organizations are trying to draw attention to a university long known as a breeding ground for Holocaust denial and other far-right activities. If they succeed, student leaders say, they will deliver a severe blow to the far-right in France. The University Jean Moulin is named…
June 24, 2001 9:00am
As Jewish high school seniors cram for their baccalaureate exams, the Jewish community in Paris is engaged in soul- searching over the role of Jewish education in French society.
Stay informed: JTA in your inbox
Jewish and Israel News in Your Inbox
WatchOlympic figure skater Sasha Cohen dances hora at wedding — to Bruno Mars
- How Paris public schools became no-go zones for Jews
- Steven Hill, Orthodox Jewish actor who played ‘Law & Order’ DA, dies at 94
- In Israeli first, Orthodox Jerusalem synagogue hires female spiritual leader
- NFL player Terrell Suggs lost weight — by cutting down on gefilte fish
- The 9 best Jews to play Trump in Clinton’s debate prep
- Trump campaign opens 3rd Israeli office, near Tel Aviv
- Outside Haim Saban fundraiser for Hillary Clinton, Black Lives Matter protests for Palestinians
- Is Donald Trump’s proposal to keep out anti-Semites practical — or ethical?
- Citing their ‘core beliefs,’ 40 Orthodox clergy condemn Trump’s ‘hateful rhetoric’
- Obama administration acknowledges link between $400 million and prisoner release
- Trump adviser alleged to have boasted of removing Jews from government jobs