January 19, 2010 7:11pm
Like the Na’vi who worship trees in “Avatar,” Jews will celebrate the New Year for Trees on Jan. 30, expressing in song and seder a kind of tree love as well.
December 22, 2009 3:48am
The first day of the new year, a Friday night, is a perfect time to have a Shabbat with family and friends, and to bless the kids.
December 4, 2009 9:49pm
At the Festival of Lights time or anytime — on the street, at your door, in the mail or online — there are many ways to respond to requests for tzedakah.
November 20, 2009 2:56am
For what should a Jew be thankful? Here’s a discussion for the table and a few answers.
October 26, 2009 11:25pm
JTA columnist Edmon Rodman suggests that this Saturday night is the perfect time to accentuate the distinction between Holy Shabbat time and the secular every day.
October 1, 2009 1:15am
As you lay out the materials and tools to build your own sukkah, as you define the space that will define your season of joy, think about this: As you build the sukkah, is the sukkah building you?
September 7, 2009 7:02pm
Hebrew headstones are talking. As the Jewish New Year approaches, we have a good chance to listen — an opportunity, really, to honor lives lived, and to deepen our understanding of Jewish time and place by visiting a Jewish cemetery.
September 7, 2009 7:02pm
Yom Kippur is a difficult day with fasting and Yizkor. So as an aid to help awaken your listening skills and sermon focus, here are some tips.
July 31, 2009 6:38pm
Tu B’Av, the little-known and ancient Jewish holiday of love, should also become a time for examining and celebrating the state of Jewish coupledom.
July 24, 2009 5:26pm
A father recounts the experience of bringing his son back from camp.
Stay informed: JTA in your inbox
Jewish and Israel News in Your Inbox
High Holidays 2016Celebrity chefs share their Rosh Hashanah recipes
- Amy Schumer’s defense against racism accusations: ‘You got the wrong Jew’
- Here’s the insanely long list of US dignitaries attending Shimon Peres’ funeral
- Saying goodbye to Shimon Peres, world leaders talk peace and love
- Abbas to attend Peres funeral, Arab-Israeli party leader Ayman Odeh will not
- In rare tribute, Obama orders flags flown at half-staff for Peres
- Bill Clinton joins throng of Israelis in viewing casket of Shimon Peres at the Knesset
- Anti-Semitic fliers put on cars at San Francisco-area train stops
- Residents of Shimon Peres’ Belarus birthplace gather outside his childhood home
- British Labour Party activist questions Holocaust Remembrance Day, existence of anti-Semitism
- Human rights groups urge US to probe Israeli soldiers’ killing of Palestinian-American teen
- On the road with Bill and Barack
- Hillary Clinton urges Jews to aim for their ‘best selves’ in call to get out the vote
- What does a libertarian like Gary Johnson’s running mate see in Shimon Peres?
- Trump NYC fundraiser co-hosted by prominent Jews expected to bring in $1 million
- The ‘big league’ Jewish moments in the first Trump-Clinton debate
- Netanyahu, following debate, tells Cabinet it does not matter who is elected US president