June 20, 2002 9:00am
Fifteen non-Jewish Lithuanian girls spend two afternoons a week in a bare, Communist-era classroom learning about a Jewish culture that is all but dead in this tiny Baltic nation.
April 15, 2002 9:00am
A Lithuanian sports association has apologized to the country´s Jewish community for anti-Semitic slogans chanted by fans during a late March basketball game against an Israeli team.
March 27, 2002 10:00am
Jewish leaders from across Eastern Europe remain largely unsatisfied with their governments´ efforts to return communal property and commemorate the Holocaust.
February 24, 2002 10:00am
A recently published book listing the names of Lithuanians who rescued Jews from the Holocaust has sparked a debate between the State Jewish Museum and Lithuanian nationalists.
October 21, 2001 9:00am
VILNIUS, Lithuania, Oct. 21 (JTA) It was 1998, and Dovid Katz was in a tiny Belarussian village recording the personal tales of a frail 79-year-old named Elli Goldfand. After World War II, Goldfand recounted, he returned home to discover he was the town’s only surviving Jew. He visited the local cemetery to recite Kaddish…
- Famed Israeli singer dies after rescuing his niece from drowning
- This Yiddish film is a rare look into Hasidic Brooklyn life
- Jared Kushner answers some Russia questions, but misses these big ones
- BDS activists prevented from boarding flight to Israel
- This Jewish player won the World Series of Poker’s $8.15 million with a pair of 2’s
- Muslim worshippers stay away from Temple Mount despite removal of metal detectors, security cameras