June 20, 2002 9:00am
Fifteen non-Jewish Lithuanian girls spend two afternoons a week in a bare, Communist-era classroom learning about a Jewish culture that is all but dead in this tiny Baltic nation.
April 15, 2002 9:00am
A Lithuanian sports association has apologized to the country´s Jewish community for anti-Semitic slogans chanted by fans during a late March basketball game against an Israeli team.
March 27, 2002 10:00am
Jewish leaders from across Eastern Europe remain largely unsatisfied with their governments´ efforts to return communal property and commemorate the Holocaust.
February 24, 2002 10:00am
A recently published book listing the names of Lithuanians who rescued Jews from the Holocaust has sparked a debate between the State Jewish Museum and Lithuanian nationalists.
October 21, 2001 9:00am
VILNIUS, Lithuania, Oct. 21 (JTA) — It was 1998, and Dovid Katz was in a tiny Belarussian village recording the personal tales of a frail 79-year-old named Elli Goldfand. After World War II, Goldfand recounted, he returned home to discover he was the town’s only surviving Jew. He visited the local cemetery to recite Kaddish…
Jewish and Israel News in Your Inbox
- 8 of the coolest menorahs for this Hanukkah season
- NYC to fund security guards for Jewish schools
- Thousands attend wedding of woman whose father, brother killed in terror attack
- Half of Birthright applicants flunked this Israel test – can you do better?
- Jewish disability advocate chides Trump for mocking reporter