February 24, 2003 10:00am
With the possibility of war with Iraq looming on the horizon, the students at a Jewish day school in Los Angeles took part in an old-fashioned teach-in, listening to and questioning a wide range of pro- and anti-war speakers.
January 7, 2003 10:00am
Thousands of years ago, Tu B’Shevat was designated as the birthday of all trees. Today, on Tu B’Shevat, Jewish conservationists and environmental activists calculate the rate at which trees are decimated faster than we can count or replace the
November 10, 2002 10:00am
Columnist Jane Ulman campaigns for major-holiday status for Chanukah, both for spiritual reasons, and because the Americans who will buy 8 million Chanukah cards and 35 million Chanukah-themed stamps this year are voting with their wallets in favor of thi
August 25, 2002 9:00am
On Rosh Hashanah, known as Yom Teruah The Day of the Shofar Blast an ancient horn will sound once again. This year, the shofar, with its eerie, piercing sounds, awakens us to a world of continued sadness, fear and seemingly irreconcilable conflict.
July 8, 2002 9:00am
Jewish campers are commemorating Tisha B’Av this year with a new level of understanding in the wake of the Sept. 11 tragedy and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
June 9, 2002 9:00am
Most people think the Bar Mitzvah is a religious ceremony in which the 13-year-old assumes adult responsibilities according to Jewish law and tradition. It is. But it is also an opportunity to push the limits and push one’s parents’ buttons.
May 5, 2002 9:00am
A year and a half ago, I was a trendsetter. The Wall Street Journal reported that many women were short-circuiting a potential midlife crisis by giving birth to another child. But now, according to Time Magazine, I’m an aberration.
February 18, 2002 10:00am
The talmudic commandment to drink until we "don´t know the difference between ‘Blessed Be Mordechai´ and ‘Cursed Be Haman´ " on Purim might not be such a good idea.
January 24, 2002 10:00am
For couples contemplating a legal and religious union, the University of Judaism in Los Angeles offers a 10-session seminar on "the meaning of love and commitment." For couples seeking a shorter, more shocking premarital education, I suggest a
November 25, 2001 10:00am
Chanukah´s twin messages of miracle and survival are even more worth celebrating in this somber year.
Stay informed: JTA in your inbox
Jewish and Israel News in Your Inbox
WatchLithuanian mayor dismantles building made from Jewish headstones
- The Brexit: Six things you need to know
- Jewish man wearing kippah beaten in Berlin
- Anti-Semitic incidents on US college campuses doubled in 2015, ADL reports
- Jewish dad takes out full-page newspaper ad seeking wife for middle-aged son
- Sarah Silverman target of anti-Semitic rant by ex-reality TV star Tila Tequila
- Donald Trump would let Israel decide on Palestinian state, says adviser
- Jewish man who sought Libertarian presidential nomination found dead
- Bernie Sanders says he will vote for Hillary Clinton
- A reflective Bernie Sanders, acknowledging Clinton as nominee, talks Trump, Larry David and what moved him to tears
- Clinton, Sanders Democratic platform drafters find common ground on Israel, Palestinians
- Ex-envoy Michael Oren to Netanyahu: Don’t agree to US defense assistance offer