June 27, 2005 9:00am
A wealthy Russian Jewish businessman hopes his money will help an organization play a more active role in the country’s Jewish life.
June 23, 2005 9:00am
A Russian prosecutors office, after declining to investigate an anti-Semitic letter signed by 20 Duma members, is investigating a Jewish group that published a 500-year-old religious text that the letter had called offensive to Orthodox Christians.
May 31, 2005 9:00am
Russian oil tycoon Mikhail Khodorkovsky, who was sentenced to nine years in prison, may not have been targeted because of his Jewish origins, but many believe the trial has led to a rise in anti-Semitic sentiment in Russia.
May 30, 2005 9:00am
A group of high-school students from across the former Soviet Union saw the sites in Belarus where Jews had once lived and where they had died; the students found the trip both enlightening and upsetting.
May 17, 2005 9:00am
Jewish leaders in Uzbekistan say members of their community feel safe and that no Jews have been hurt in recent unrest that has hit parts of the country.
May 17, 2005 9:00am
A large indigenous Jewish community, known as Bukharan Jews, has existed in what is now Uzbekistan for many centuries; more recently they were joined by Russian Ashkenazim.
May 15, 2005 9:00am
Responding to Russian Jewish groups’ need for professional managers, the American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee has begun a training program for nonprofit managers in Moscow.
May 2, 2005 9:00am
Although Russian President Vladimir Putin’s visit to Israel — the first by a Russian head of state — was laden with symbolism, it seems to have been light on actual achievement.
April 21, 2005 9:00am
Russian arms sales to Syria are expected to be on the front burner when Russian President Vladimir Putin makes a historic visit to Israel.
April 11, 2005 9:00am
Two groups in a Moscow suburb are fighting over a shul; the well-connected Federation of Jewish Communities and the Russian Jewish Congress are on opposite sides.
Stay informed: JTA in your inbox
Jewish and Israel News in Your Inbox
- Rock legend Phil Lesh gathers musician friends for a Grateful Dead Passover
- As Jews flee Belgium, a seder marks a family exodus
- Actress Lea Michele discovers her Greek-Jewish roots
- Sides swap character attacks in trial over Bay Area’s Koret Foundation
- Ex-mayor of London suspended from Labour for saying Hitler was Zionist
- Palestinians riot as Jewish worshippers visit Joseph’s Tomb
- Critical profile of Melania Trump unleashes flood of anti-Semitic abuse on reporter
- Bernie Sanders to lay off ‘hundreds’ of staffers
- Donald Trump: Obama is no friend of Israel
- After weeks of brickbats, Bernie Sanders offers Hillary Clinton a bouquet
- Establishment candidates win Dem Senate nods in Md., Pa.
- Trump sweeps 5 states, Clinton wins 4