December 9, 2014 5:47pm
The stabbing of a young rabbinical student highlights the vulnerability of many large yeshivas and synagogues.
April 16, 2008 9:00am
A rabbi and his wife killed in a raging house fire were being remembered for growing their suburban New York synagogue into a major Modern Orthodox congregation and creating a network of close friendships.
March 20, 2006 10:00am
Cartoons have become the newest battleground between Jew and anti-Semite. And the Jews are putting anti-hatred on the drawing board.
June 6, 2004 9:00am
An Orthodox synagogue in New York has become the first congregation in the United States to employ a female legal expert trained to respond to women’s concerns on issues such as sexuality, menstrual cycles and fertility problems.
March 9, 2004 10:00am
Margaret Tishman, a longtime Jewish community lay leader and philanthropist who helped guide the merger that produced UJA-Federation of New York, died at 84.
November 19, 2003 10:00am
Rifka Rosenwein, a journalist whose monthly column in the New York Jewish Week over the last seven years chronicled her personal life as a suburban wife and mother and eventually her battle against a rare form of cancer died at age 42.
November 18, 2003 10:00am
Laurence Tisch, who died in New York at age 80 after a 15-month battle with cancer, is being remembered as a self-made billionaire and philanthropist, a family man and communal leader in the Jewish community.
February 21, 2001 10:00am
NEW YORK, Feb. 21 (JTA) For years, the phone calls would come from people identifying themselves as advertising sellers for the Jewish World News. They would take orders, at exorbitant rates, for a newspaper that essentially didn’t exist. For years Robert Cohn, editor in chief of The St. Louis Jewish Light, would console fellow…
Stay informed: JTA in your inbox
Jewish and Israel News in Your Inbox
- How Paris public schools became no-go zones for Jews
WatchOlympic figure skater Sasha Cohen dances hora at wedding — to Bruno Mars
- Steven Hill, Orthodox Jewish actor who played ‘Law & Order’ DA, dies at 94
- In Israeli first, Orthodox Jerusalem synagogue hires female spiritual leader
- NFL player Terrell Suggs lost weight — by cutting down on gefilte fish
- The 9 best Jews to play Trump in Clinton’s debate prep
- It’s indisputable: The GOP is the pro-Israel party
- Quit the failed attempts to paint Democrats as weak on Israel
- Trump campaign opens 3rd Israeli office, near Tel Aviv
- Outside Haim Saban fundraiser for Hillary Clinton, Black Lives Matter protests for Palestinians
- Is Donald Trump’s proposal to keep out anti-Semites practical — or ethical?
- Citing their ‘core beliefs,’ 40 Orthodox clergy condemn Trump’s ‘hateful rhetoric’