December 22, 2016 2:29pm
(JTA) — Aleppo, one of the world’s oldest cities and Syria’s largest metropolis, is synonymous with one of humanity’s cruelest conflicts — now surpassing the siege of Sarajevo as the deadliest and longest-running battle for a city in our time. With an estimated 31,000 deaths, the battle for Aleppo has taken more than double the…
April 12, 2016 4:46pm
(JTA) — Passover is a time for family, for tradition, and for festive celebration. It’s also a time to fix a paradox. As we read the Haggadah, we reflect on our past travails and miraculous redemption as a Jewish people. But if we look only at the past we risk overlooking the incredible ways in…
June 3, 2015 3:29pm
Laws aimed at fighting BDS do not violate the First Amendment, Chicago’s Jewish federation chief writes.
December 11, 2013 1:17pm
The president of the Chicago federation writes that subsidized Jewish preschool will spike enrollment — pointing to his city as proof — leading to more Jewish engagement down the line.
December 9, 2012 5:48pm
While marking two watersheds in Jewish history — Chanukah and the March on Washington to Free Soviet Jewry — the president of the Chicago Jewish federation writes that the battle to defend Jewish freedom continues because of the hate that launches rockets from Gaza and conjures nuclear weapons in Tehran.
January 27, 2010 9:19pm
The president of the Jewish United Fund/Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Chicago feels grief for the people of Haiti, but also is grateful to the United States and Israel for their humanitarian efforts.
March 15, 2009 10:39pm
For the not-for-profit community, applying fundamental principles of due diligence is the key to producing results and thus earning the trust of contributors, writes the president of the Jewish United Fund/Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Chicago.
- Muslim civil rights group offers $5,000 reward for information on JCC bomb threats
- Leah Adler, mother of Steven Spielberg and popular restaurateur, dies at 97
- Meet the Jewish couple leading the Trump resistance
- Author JK Rowling helps boost Muslim campaign to repair vandalized Jewish cemetery
- NJ yeshiva alumni, former staff implore graduate Jared Kushner to help halt refugee ban
- After much prodding, Trump condemns anti-Semitism
- Jewish groups seek action from Trump to match his words on anti-Semitism
- Pence visits vandalized cemetery, condemns threats to JCCs
- Muslim campaign raises over $100,000 for vandalized Jewish cemetery
- Jewish governor of Missouri, Muslim activists pitching in to repair vandalized Jewish cemetery
AnalysisTrump, the Jews and the political weaponization of anti-Semitism