June 29, 2006 9:00am
They don’t see many Americans in the Belarusian village of Vselyub. Certainly not many with weed-whackers, like those who came to save the town’s Jewish cemetery.
June 5, 2006 9:00am
As the only Israeli pro athlete playing in Ukraine, Afik Nissim has had to make hard choices between keeping Shabbat and furthering his basketball dreams.
May 2, 2006 9:00am
A Ukranian dating Web site has been set up to address a specific issue: In a country where the Jewish community is relatively small and sometimes scattered, young Jews say it’s difficult to find Jewish partners.
March 16, 2006 10:00am
A Jewish activist in Ukraine has collected thousands of artifacts for what he hopes will be his country’s first Jewish museum. But, he admits, it’s all about the money.
January 8, 2006 10:00am
A program in Belarus provides needy families with everything from clothing and groceries to financial self-sufficiency. But the program’s efforts rests shakily on nascent local fund-raising ventures.
December 26, 2005 10:00am
A trip to the Tsimmes restaurant in Kiev highlights the successful Jewish eateries in the Ukrainian capital.
October 16, 2005 9:00am
Vladimir Chaplin is no longer a leader of Ukrainian Jewish student life. But this non-Jew, who now works in the Jewish museum in the city of Odessa, still has a contagious enthusiasm about Jewish life.
Stay informed: JTA in your inbox
Jewish and Israel News in Your Inbox
- Rock legend Phil Lesh gathers musician friends for a Grateful Dead Passover
- As Jews flee Belgium, a seder marks a family exodus
- Actress Lea Michele discovers her Greek-Jewish roots
- Ex-mayor of London suspended from Labour for saying Hitler was Zionist
- Sides swap character attacks in trial over Bay Area’s Koret Foundation
- Palestinians riot as Jewish worshippers visit Joseph’s Tomb
- Bernie Sanders to lay off ‘hundreds’ of staffers
- Donald Trump: Obama is no friend of Israel
- After weeks of brickbats, Bernie Sanders offers Hillary Clinton a bouquet
- Establishment candidates win Dem Senate nods in Md., Pa.
- Trump sweeps 5 states, Clinton wins 4
- In Nevada, an open House seat, a Jewish front-runner and a Muslim candidate who feels dissed by his party