June 29, 2006 9:00am
They don’t see many Americans in the Belarusian village of Vselyub. Certainly not many with weed-whackers, like those who came to save the town’s Jewish cemetery.
June 5, 2006 9:00am
As the only Israeli pro athlete playing in Ukraine, Afik Nissim has had to make hard choices between keeping Shabbat and furthering his basketball dreams.
May 2, 2006 9:00am
A Ukranian dating Web site has been set up to address a specific issue: In a country where the Jewish community is relatively small and sometimes scattered, young Jews say it’s difficult to find Jewish partners.
March 16, 2006 10:00am
A Jewish activist in Ukraine has collected thousands of artifacts for what he hopes will be his country’s first Jewish museum. But, he admits, it’s all about the money.
January 8, 2006 10:00am
A program in Belarus provides needy families with everything from clothing and groceries to financial self-sufficiency. But the program’s efforts rests shakily on nascent local fund-raising ventures.
December 26, 2005 10:00am
A trip to the Tsimmes restaurant in Kiev highlights the successful Jewish eateries in the Ukrainian capital.
October 16, 2005 9:00am
Vladimir Chaplin is no longer a leader of Ukrainian Jewish student life. But this non-Jew, who now works in the Jewish museum in the city of Odessa, still has a contagious enthusiasm about Jewish life.
Jewish and Israel News in Your Inbox
- Montreal businessman says Judaism inspired him to save children from ISIS
- American Airlines to cancel flights to Israel
- Natalie Portman says Jewish community is too focused on the Holocaust
- Kirk Douglas and wife donating $80 million in new gifts
- The Reform movement’s new holiday prayer book is radically inclusive
- Most Orthodox Jews are Republicans and 11 other findings from Pew