February 24, 2017 12:31pm
(JTA) — Purim is a dark story marked by a crazy party. I’m still unsure why a close brush with extermination became, in the Middle Ages, an opportunity for costumes and farce, but there you have it. It’s the fifth century BCE, about a hundred years after the First Temple’s destruction. The Jews who were…
September 7, 2009 7:25pm
Author Abigail Pogrebin rejects the Torah’s schematic representation of parental preference and siblings — twins in particular — as instinctive enemies.
- Billy Graham, who championed Israel in public and derided Jews in private, dies at 99
- Teacher Scott Beigel did not want to be remembered as a hero
Editor's ColumnHere’s why we report on the Jewish victims of larger tragedies
- These Jewish women say celebrating Purim in the #MeToo era is different
- Jewish dad of Florida school shooting victim to Trump: ‘It stops here’
- New Jersey rabbi arrested for meeting teen prostitute
- Former Netanyahu confidant agrees to turn state’s evidence in corruption investigation
- Chabad security footage shows Florida school shooter ‘casually walking by’ after attack
- Israel says it thwarted an Islamic State plan to bomb Australian flight
- Poland’s prime minister said some Jews collaborated with Nazis. Scholars say he distorted history.
- Austrian Jewish students disrupt Cabinet minister’s speech calling government ‘not kosher’