Hakoah Team Plays Brilliant Games in Brooklyn and Jersey City
Menu JTA Search

Hakoah Team Plays Brilliant Games in Brooklyn and Jersey City

Download PDF for this date

A brilliant victory for the Hakoah soccer team resulted from the seventh game of its American tour when it defeated the Brooklyn Wanderers at Ebbets Field, Brooklyn, on Saturday, with a score of 6 to 4. On Sunday the team tied with the Newark Football Club soccer team at the West Side Baseball Grounds in Jersey City, the final score being 3-3.

Giving a brillian exhibition of soccer in the first half of the game in Brooklyn, the Hakoah established an overwhelming lead of 6 goals to 1. This advantage they had earned by an exceptionally fine performance. In the last ten minutes of that period the Brooklyn team were swept off their feet by the whirlwind tactics of the Hakoah.

There was no stopping them, and they piled on no less than three goals in quick succession. In the second half the losing side came back strong. The Hakoah did not tally again, while the Wanderers, penetrated their goal three times.

While the Hakoah played through the entire game with the same team, the Wanderers brought in two substitutes, one at outside right and another at left halfback. The game was rough in spots. The contest was not without its mishap, as a result of which the Wanderers played with only ten men during the last fifteen minutes. Leslie Lyell of the Brooklyn team suffered an injury which caused him to retire when he failed to respond to first aid treatment. It was stated that he had fractured his shinbone.

Borough President Joseph A. Glider formally put the ball in play. In the absence of Captain Haeusler, Schwartz, the outside left for Hakoah, assumed the captaincy and won the toss from Captain Forrest of Brooklyn. He elected to play with the wind in the first half. The grounds were in splendid condition.

The Hakoah goals were shot by Schoenfeld, Drucker and Schwarz, for the Wanderers by McManus and McQuire.

Close to 22,000 people witnessed the game, which lasted from 4.10 to 6 o’clock. The attendance for soccer in Brooklyn was surpassed by 7,000.

Earning the equalizing tally in the last five minutes of play, the Hakoah shared the honors of their eighth match with the American Soccer League team of the Newark Football Club at the West Side Baseball Grounds in Jersey City on Sunday.

The Hakoah team was leading at half time by 2 goals to 1. For the rest of the game the play was exciting with quite an admixture of roughness due to the heat of the contest. The final score was 3-3. When victory seemed certain for the Newark team. Josef Eisenhofer, who played at inside left, came to the rescue by shooting his third goal. A crowd of 6,000 persons witnessed the game and cheered the Hakoah to the echo when, at the last minute, they scored, tying the game.

In the absence of Mayor Frank Hague, Commissioner William B. Quinn. Acting Mayor of Jersey City, received the Hakoah team. Benjamin Schlossberg was chairman of the reception committee. Other officials with the Acting Mayor were Surrogate James F. Norton of Hudson County and Freeholder William P. Kerns.

The start was delayed until 3.45 on account of an exhibition game between the Maccabees and the First Vienna team, which was won by the Maccabees by 3 to 1. The ball was put in play by Acting Mayor Quinn. Captain Haeusler won the toss and elected to play with the wind which at that time was quite strong. A conspicuous absentee from the Hakoah line-up was Alexander Neufeld, the brilliant outside right. His lace was taken by Schwartz who was bifted from outside left and his place given to Gruenwald. No sooner had play begun than Captain Haeusler was hit by the ball. He was partially winded but quickly recovered. The first goal came after nine minutes as the result of a long drive by Eisenhofer from twenty yards out.

At fifteen minutes, as Brown cleared Eisenhofer scored Hakoah’s second goal. Four minutes after the Hakoah had made its second tally Graham, off a pass by Carstairs, shot Newark’s first goal.

With the changing of ends in the second half the situation assumed a different phase, as the high wind had not subsided. After fourteen minutes a long drive from Fleming on the left reached Fabian in goal for the Hakoah. The latter held the ball and then dropped it, whereupon the ball rolled into the net. Six minutes later Graham scored with only five minutes left in which to play, Eisenhofer scored tying the game. Hakoah’s record so far comprises a total of eight matches played, of which they have won four, lost two and drawn two.

Founding Funders

The digitization of the JTA Archive would not have been possible without the generous support of the following donors:
  • The Gottesman Fund
  • Righteous Persons Foundation
  • Charles H. Revson Foundation
  • Elisa Spungen Bildner and Robert Bildner, in honor of Norma Spungen
  • George S. Blumenthal
  • Grace and Scott Offen Charitable Fund