London (May. 25)
(Jewish Telegraphic Agency)
In order to support the Jewish agriculturalists during the spring season the Ort Reconstruction Fund has made further grants for Russia, Poland and Bessarabia.
A sum of $10,000 was granted for credits to be given to the colonists in the district of Odessa. An additional sum of $1,500 has been remitted to Poland and a further grant of $1,000 has been made to the farmers in Bessarabia who suffered from the famine of the previous two years.
In order to extend the work of the Cooperative Tool Supply Company the Reconstruction Fund has granted a loan of $10,000. The company has considerably developed its scope and is satisfied with the regularity with which the farmers and artisans pay by installments for the cost of the machines and raw material given them on credit terms. In the last two years over 4,000 artisans and small industrialists have been supplied with tools and implements. An order for machinery and raw material amounting to about $19,000 was recently carried out for a Jewish cooperative society in Russia. It is expected that in the near future the work in Russia, which is at present sporadic, will become regular as the company is about to sign an agreement with the Soviet authorities which will give certain facilities for the importing of tools, machinery and raw material required by farmers and artisans.
JEWISH COMMUNAL ACTIVITIES
The cornerstone of the new $1,000,000 Park Avenue synagogue, New York City, was laid Sunday afternoon with impressive ceremonies.
Assistant Corporation Counsel Arthur J. W. Hilly, represented Mayor Walker, Among the speakers were Dr. Stephen S. Wise of the Free Synagogue, Assemblyman Samuel Hofstadter, M. Samuel Stern, Rabbi Israel Goldstein, President of the Jewish Board of Ministers; Jacob Friedman, Jr., President of the congregation, and Assemblyman Maurice Bloch, who presided.
The cornerstone of the first synagogue in Germantown, suburb of Philadelphia, was laid on Sunday. The synagogue which will house the congregation Ohavas Chesed, was dedicated to those Jews of Germantown who lost their lives in the World War.
Among those who spoke at the ceremonies were Congressman Benjamin M. Golder. State Representative Edwin C. Emhart, Ellis Dasheisky, president of the Congregation: Mrs. Rebecca Dasheisky, president of the Ladies’ Auxiliary; Abram Orlow, president of the Junior Council; Morris H. Starr, past commander of Stern-Price Post, No. 417, American Legion, and Rabbi Marvin Nathan, of Beth Israel Synagogue.
The new Rodfie Zedek Temple in Chicago, was dedicated on Sunday. The building, just completed at a cost of $250,000, is the home of the only orthodox congregation in the Hyde Park district of Chicago’s south side. The congregation is the oldest conservative one on the South Side. When a number of West Side residents moved to the new neighborhood, they started to organize a Minyan and on Aug. 26, 1899, the Rodfei Zedek was formed with Max Duberstein, H. Finkel, M. Kulkinsky, M. Epstein and B. Cohen as charter members.
For one year the worshippers met at a store. It then moved into its first synagogue which it occupied 17 years. In 1923 the congregation moved to the community house.
Abrasha Epstein is the architect and engineer who planned and constructed the new synagogue.