U.S. First Planetarium Donated by Max Adler

The first planetarium in America, rivalling in size and equipment, the most famous planetaria in Europe, has been presented to the city of Chicago by Max Adler, former vice-president of Sears-Roebuck and Company, and brother-in-law of Julius Rosenwald.

The Adler Planetarium was built at a cost of one million dollars and contains, in addition to a model of the cosmic system, and all modern devices employed in the study of planetary phenomena, a history of astronomy through an exhibit of telescopes and equipment dating back to 1635.

Professor Philip Fox, former head of the Department of Astronomy of the Northwestern University, has resigned in order to become director of the planetarium.

NEXT STORY