Funeral services will be held this morning in Temple B’nai Jeshurun with Rabbi Israel Goldstein and Rabbi Jacob Schwartz officiating, for the late Supreme Court Justice Nathan Bijur, who died on Tuesday afternoon. Burial will be in Betholom Field, Cypress Hills, Queens. Justice Bijur was born in New York City in 1862. In 1886 he married Lilly Pronich of Galveston, Texas, who, together with a son, survives him.
As a lawyer Justice Bijur specialized in corporation law and took part in the reorganization of several railroads. He was first elected to a fourteen-year term as Supreme Court Justice in 1910, and when this term expired he was reelected without opposition. Because of his ability as a Supreme Court Justice, he was chosen by the Appellate Division to sit most frequently as one of the three members of the Appellate Term, which hears appeals from municipal courts.
Justice Bijur took an active interest in philanthropic organizations, and in 1905 he was elected president of the New York Conference of Charities. He was a trustee of the Baron de Hirsch Fund and of the Hebrew Free Trade School and a member of the Congregation B’nai Jeshurun. Among the many other organizations with which he was affiliated were the American Jewish Committee of which he was a founder, Legal Aid Society, Ethical Culture Society, Educational Alliance and the Federation for the Support of Jewish Philanthropic Societies. Among the philanthropies which he aided were the National Farm School, National Jewish Hospital, American Jewish Historical Society, National Conference of Jewish Social Service, Hebrew Sheltering and Immigrant Aid Society and Young Men’s Hebrew Association.