Jerusalem (Aug. 18)
The erection of the Central building of the Hebrew University which has been made possible by the legacy of the late Sol Rosenbloom and the additional funds provided by his widow, is to be taken in hand immediately, Dr. J. L. Magnes, the Chancellor of the Hebrew University, made it clear on his return today from America, in speaking of the meeting of the Board of Governors and the Academic Council of the University which he had attended on his way back, in Zurich, at the end of July.
It was announced by Judge Mack, the report of the Zurich meeting of the University authorities states inter alia, that the new plans for the Rosenbloom Central building of the University were now completed. The erection of the building has been made possible, the report adds, through the generosity of Mrs. Sol Rosenbloom, who was present at the meeting.
Sol Rosenbloom, who died in November 1925, was a prominent Jewish communal worker in Pittsburgh. He was President of the Hebrew Institute in Pittsburgh, and was one of the members of the Executive of the American Zionist Organisation who resigned with Judge Brandeis after the 1921 American Zionist Convention.
After making a visit to Palestine a few years before his death, he pledged a quarter of a million dollars towards the Institute of Jewish Studies at the Hebrew University.
After his death, his widow announced a gift of half a million dollars out of his estate for the erection of a building for the auditorium and administrative offices of the Institute of Jewish Studies, the building to be named after Mr. Rosenbloom. Since then, Mrs. Rosenbloom has added considerably to her contributions for the purpose.