The settlement of 100 members of the Agricultural Section of the Jewish ex-Legionaries on an area of 1,650 dunams of land given by the Jewish National Fund for this purpose in Wady Havarith, has been inaugurated by the planting of the first tree in the new colony. The settlement is bounded on the north by the orange groves of the colony of Natania, on the east by the disputed territory of the Wady Havarith, on the south by Jewish National Fund land, and on the west by the Mediterranean.
Mrs. Archibald Silverman, a prominent American Zionist worker, who has always shown keen interest in the Legionaries, planted the first tree in the colony.
Mr. Joseph Wilson, an ex-Legionary, recalled the day when the American Jewish Legionaries first arrived in Palestine to free the Holy Land by the sword. Mr. Nathan Kaplan, of Chicago, complained that the enthusiastic promises made to the Legionaries by the leaders of the Zionist organisation of America and the Government of Palestine had not been fulfilled, and that it was their duty to make good these promises.
Mr. Ben-Davis of New York, one of the founders of the Nathania Colony, welcomed the new settlers.
Mrs. Rachel Volitsky, wife of Rabbi Volitsky, of New York, spoke of the part of the Jewish women in the upbuilding of Palestine, and paid a tribute to Mrs. Archibald Silverman for her efforts on behalf of the ex-Legionaries.
Several Bedouins living near the new colony welcomed their new neighbours and expressed the hope that they would benefit by the advent of the Jewish colonists.
The oldest member of the ex-Legionaries, Mr. Israel Rosenberg of Philadelphia, announced a contribution of Â£100 to the colony for digging a well.
The Archive of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency includes articles published from 1923 to 2008. Archive stories reflect the journalistic standards and practices of the time they were published.