Call for Return of Cordova Synagogue
Menu JTA Search

Call for Return of Cordova Synagogue

Download PDF for this date

A motion was submitted to the Cortes today calling for the returning to the Sephardic organization of the ancient synagogue in Cordova.

The Cortes, accepting the proposal, has recommended the motion to the Parliamentary Commission of Public Instruction with the request that the restoration be carried out.

Cordova, birthplace of Moses Maimonides, was the seat of a Jewish community as early as the eighth century.

The synagogue referred to was built in 1315 and confiscated in 1391 during the massacres against the Jews.

Founding Funders

The digitization of the JTA Archive would not have been possible without the generous support of the following donors:
  • The Gottesman Fund
  • Righteous Persons Foundation
  • Charles H. Revson Foundation
  • Elisa Spungen Bildner and Robert Bildner, in honor of Norma Spungen
  • George S. Blumenthal
  • Grace and Scott Offen Charitable Fund