Paris (Aug. 22)
The municipality of Paris will honor the memory of the late Mrs. Florence M. Blumenthal, wife of George Blumenthal, noted Jewish American philanthropist and art patron, with whom she shared in his many benefactions.
A street in the fashionable 16th district of Paris will be named “Rue Florence Blumenthal,” in memory of Mrs. Blumenthal, who together with her husband, made generous gifts to French institutions.
Mrs. Blumenthal organized the American Foundation for French Art and Thought and established prizes for artists.
Mr. Blumenthal recently established the George and Florence Blumenthal Foundation for Sick Children at the Necker Hospital in Paris.
Both Mr. and Mrs. Blumenthal received the decoration of the order of the Legion of Honor for their contributions to the Children’s Hospital and to the Sorbonne.
Mrs. Blumenthal died two years ago. George Blumenthal, a retired banker, gave $1,000,000 to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York for the purchase of art treasures.
Mr. Blumenthal is actively identified with a number of Jewish and non-Jewish philanthropic institutions in New York. He has served as president of Mount Sinai Hospital since 1911 and has been a vice president of the United Hospital Fund for many years.
In 1930, he served as the chairman of the campaign for $2,221,000 of the New York Federation for the Support of Jewish Philanthropic Societies.