NEW YORK (Apr. 11)
Special grants of $103,950 have been made to Polish Jewish organizations for support and extension of schools, trade training, productive enterprises and cultural activity during the first three months of 1937 by the Joint Distribution.
Committee in addition to regular expenditures of approximately $170,000, Joseph C. Hyman, executive director, announced today.
The largest single grant, $23,800, was made to the various Jewish school systems in Poland for renovating existing buildings and erecting new schools, the J.D.C. contributing only part of the cost. The remainder is to be raised by the Polish Jews themselves. Trade schools were given grants totaling $21,950 for the extension of their facilities. Trade and commercial schools in Warsaw, Lodz, Wilno, Lwow, Cracow and several smaller cities will benefit from this grant.
A total of $10,000 has also been granted for the trade retraining of adults, for the development of new trades and for other productive economic assistance to Jewish heads of families. This grant will help finance producers and workers cooperatives, workshops, and farming.