PARIS (Nov. 15)
A wave of Jewish suicides was reported today from Germany via Zurich as a consequence of new anti-Jewish measures taken by the Nazis after the bombing attempt on Chancellor Adolf Hitler’s life in Munich last Wednesday night. It was estimated that more than 200 Jews, including entire families, had taken their lives in Berlin and Vienna.
It was also reported through Zurich that in retaliation for the bombing black-uniformed S.S. guards in a number of towns had instituted massacres of Jews and Catholics. Mass arrests of Jews and Catholics were said to be continuing and those Jews not arrested in the past two days were told they would all be exiled to the Lublin Jewish “reservation” in Poland.
“Within two months not a single Jew will remain in the Reich,” a high Nazi official was quoted as having announced in Berlin. The reports coming via Zurich said 50,000 Jews throughout Germany had been ordered to appear at local railway stations within 24 hours for a mass removal.