PARIS (Dec. 26)
Reports reaching here today told of continued confiscation of Jewish property in West Prussia, occupation of Jewish homes in Vienna by Nazis and demolition of synagogues in various parts of the Reich.
The Danziger Vorposten, Nazi organ in the former Free City, reports that all bank deposits and safe deposits of Jews in West Prussia have been sequestered by the Nazi authorities and Jews in this territory, which includes the Corridor, Posen and Pommern districts, are ordered to submit by Dec. 31 all cash and valuables in their possession. They will be permitted to draw from the blocked accounts not more than 500 zlotys weekly. The order also applies to non-Jews entrusted by Jews with capital.
The Vienna newspaper Weltblatt, reporting that Nazis in Vienna move into houses although Jews still live there, advises them first to obtain the necessary permits from the local authorities in order to avoid complaints that they have acted illegally.
Die Zeit, Nazi organ in the Bohemia-Moravia Protectorate, reports that the last synagogue in the town of Almutz, where 3,000 Jews had resided, has been demolished, and also that the synagogue in Znaimern, “which was the fortress of Asiatic culture,” has been razed.
According to a list published in Paris, 463 synagogues have been destroyed by the Nazis in Germany, Austria, Sudetenland, the Protectorate and Danzig, most of them by fire during the pogroms of Nov. 9 and 10, 1938, following the assassination of a German Embassy official in Paris by a Polish Jewish youth.