New Colony Founded in North
Menu JTA Search

New Colony Founded in North

Download PDF for this date

Jewish colonization activity went forward today despite the newly-announced restrictions on purchase of land by Jews.

A new colony, the third to be founded since the first of the year, was established by a group of 76 pioneers, most of whom are from Germany, near Hanita in northernmost Palestine.

The colony occupies 5,200 dunams (about 1,000 acres) of land recently purchased by the Jewish National Fund. It is located in the area where land sales to Jews have been restricted, retroactively to May 18, 1939.

The J.N.F. has acquired a total of 25,000 dunams of land in the Upper Galilee, a restricted area, since the war, it was announced.

Founding Funders

The digitization of the JTA Archive would not have been possible without the generous support of the following donors:
  • The Gottesman Fund
  • Righteous Persons Foundation
  • Charles H. Revson Foundation
  • Elisa Spungen Bildner and Robert Bildner, in honor of Norma Spungen
  • George S. Blumenthal
  • Grace and Scott Offen Charitable Fund