MOSCOW (Dec. 6)
Prof. Jacob Parnas, well known chemist who until 1941 lectured at the universities of Warsaw and Lwow, was today awarded the Order of Lenin, one of the highest Soviet decorations, in recognition of his exemplary fulfillment of government assignments in developing organic preparations in industry, useful for the Red Army and to the civilian population.”
Prof. Parnas, who was born in Tarnopol, Poland, in 1883, resided in Lwow, until the city was taken by the Red Army. In 1942 he earned the Stalin Prize in the field of science and was elected a member of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR. He is the author of many works on biochemistry, 120 of which have been translated into various languages. He studied in the universities of Berlin, Zurich, Munich, and was assistant professor at Strassburg Unersity. At present he is the head of the laboratory for physiological chemistry at the Academy of Sciences of the USSR in Moscow.