Vienna (Nov. 10)
The destruction of 62 synagogues throughout Austria on Nov, 9 and 10, 1938, during the pogroms which swept Germany and Austria following the assassination of Ernst vom Rath, a Nazi diplomat, in Paris, was commemorated here last night at a meeting in the Vienna Music Hall.
About 2,000 Jews, including approximately 100 in Allied uniforms, attended the meeting, at which were present representatives of the Austrian Government and the Allied missions. Speakers recalled that in addition to burning synagogues and destroying Jewish homes and property, the Nazis rounded up and sent 20,000 Jews to Dachau during the two-day holocaust. They charged that the people of Vienna had stood by “indolently” and watched the destruction and terror.
Hans Wolf, Hamburg-born Jewish refugee who fought with the U.S. Seventh Artillery Regiment in France, conducted a musical program, the feature of which was a variation on the traditional Kol Nidre melody by Prof. Hans Knauer. Brahms Requiem and Hatikvah were also given.