Arab Forces Launch Five-hour Attack on Israeli Positions; Fierce Battle in Jerusalem
Menu JTA Search

Arab Forces Launch Five-hour Attack on Israeli Positions; Fierce Battle in Jerusalem

Download PDF for this date

Aral forces, believed to be Iraqis, made a five-hour hour attack today against the Jewish-held Tillage of Dir Addas, near Magdiel, in the Sharon Valley. The assault, which was beaten off, was directed from the Arab-held town of Qalqilia, 15 miles northwest of Tel Aviv.

One Jewish soldier was killed, two were wounded, while an unknown number of casualties were inflicted on Transjordan Arab Legion units when a fierce battle developed early today in the area of Mount Zion in Jerusalem.

An official Israel Amy statement said that Arab units, using automatic weapons and mortars from positions inside Jerusalem’s Old City, opened up with heavy fire against the Jews and began advancing on Israeli positions on Mount Zion, Jewish troops replied with" vigorous fire" and beat off the attacking formations, the statement said.

The firing continued intermittently until late morning, but the area was pronounced quiet around noon. The din of exploding three-inch mortar shells and crackling machine gun fire which could be heard throughout Jerusalem kept the city’s residents tense.

Israeli Military Governor of Jerusalem Dr. Dov Joseph reported the battle to United Nations truce observers, claiming that the Arabs were responsible for initiating a further violation of the cease-fire.


The Arab attack in Jerusalem took place despite the "reminder" addressed yesterday by U.N. mediator Count Folke Bernadotte to the Jewish and Arab military authorities in the city that they "are responsible for applying the truce" in their respective areas and for the suppression of sniping and attacks whether by regular or irregular troops. This "reminder" was followed up with conferences which the mediator held this morning with Dov Joseph, Israeli Military Governor, and in the afternoon, with the Arab area commander.

Today Bernadotte announced the arrival of 50 more United Nations observers expressed the hope that the uneasy truce situation in Jerusalem will be improved. "If the situation does not improve, it will be necessary to report to the Security Council, which is empowered to take effective measures regarding truce violations," he informed the Israeli and Arab authorities.

A car belonging to the British consulate-general in Jerusalem, which today entered the Jewish area of Jerusalem, was smashed by a group of young armed Jews, presumably belonging to a dissident organization. This is the first time that a car flying the Union Jack came into the Jewish area. Israeli military police arrived on the scene quickly and began an immediate investigation. British vice-consul Frederick Bestall, who was inside a bank at the time, was unhurt, and military police escorted him back to the consulate.

Founding Funders

The digitization of the JTA Archive would not have been possible without the generous support of the following donors:
  • The Gottesman Fund
  • Righteous Persons Foundation
  • Charles H. Revson Foundation
  • Elisa Spungen Bildner and Robert Bildner, in honor of Norma Spungen
  • George S. Blumenthal
  • Grace and Scott Offen Charitable Fund