CLEVELAND (Nov. 4)
The merger of Cleveland’s two central Jewish agencies into one unified body, the Jewish Community Federation of Cleveland, was effected here when the general membership of the Jewish Welfare Federation ratified the merger plan which had previously been approved by the Federation trustees and the delegates assembly and executive committee of the Jewish Community Council.
Merger of the two agencies into one central body marked the culmination of three years of work, study and organization and the outcome is considered a milestone in the life of the Cleveland Jewish community. “Key Jewish communities throughout the country will watch closely our adventure in this new approach and new concept of community organization, ” Max Simon, who presided at the Federation’s ratification meeting, declared.
The new agency provides for a more representative administrative procedure than its two predecessors had. A delegate assembly will consist of representatives of each organization formerly in the Jewish Community Council, plus an equal number of delegates at large elected by the general membership of the Federation. The board of trustees will include representation of agencies supported by the Federation, the delegate assembly, congregations and members at large.
The Jewish Welfare Federation, one of the first in the country, was established 48 years ago. The Jewish Community Council was set up in 1935.