MIAMI (Jan. 1)
The terrorists who on a number of separate occasions attempted to dynamite five synagogues, one Catholic church and a Negro housing project are not part of a single conspiracy although they are all inspired by racial and religious hatred, it was established here today.
The Anti-Defamation League of the B’nai B’rith here reported that there is no relation between the blasts in Carver Village, the Negro housing project, and the synagogue and church bombing insofar as the existence of an organized clique was concerned. The report said that the Carver Village dynamiting is a result of the resentment of local residents against turning over the housing project to Negroes after several years of white occupancy. The other bombings, the report pointed out, are the work of a “dangerous and hate-ridden maniac” or “thrill-seeking” hoodlums.
(The New York Times reported today from Miami that Chief of Police Walter E. Headley, Jr., who was trained at the Federal Bureau of Investigation Academy in Washington, says the Carver bombing was the work of professionals, or at least those who have taken the time to study the rudiments of the dynamiter’s art. The dynamite had been placed where it could do the maximum amount of structural damage, he explained, and had been detonated expertly. On the other hand, the bombings and attempted bombings at the synagogues and church appear to have been done by amateurs. On several occasions fuses have been improperly ignited, it lit at all, and the sticks have been thrown carelessly into open doorways or on the streets.)
All synagogues in the Miami arms are under police guard, overtime payments being made to policemen from a special fund appropriated by the municipality. Rabbis emphasize that the members of their congregations contime to attend the services without the slightest fear of possible terroristic acts.