JERUSALEM (May. 25)
The Israel Cabinet last night heard a report on defense measures necessitated by the continuing tension along the Jewish State’s borders, particularly along the Jordan frontier where Arab infiltration has increased. The Ministers were told that several detachments of the new "Border Guards" units — which are being established to permit the Army and regular police to turn their energies to other tasks — have already been formed and are in training.
Meanwhile, Foreign Minister Moshe Sharett summoned the British Ambassador and the American charge daffier to his office in Tel Aviv to discuss the border situation. Mr. Sharett laid special emphasis on the Jerdanians’ rejection of a suggestion by truce supervisor Gen. William E. Riley that a high level meeting be held to settle the border situation.
A military spokesman today denied emphatically charges made in a communiqué issued by the Jordan Government to the effect that Israeli armed forces attacked Jordanian villages along the southern section of the Israel-Jordanian frontier. "No Israel security forces crossed the Israel-Jordanian border, " the spokesman said. The Jordan communiqué asserted that Israelis had attacked II Jordan villages on May 20 and 22 and three others in the Hebron area May 23.
The Israel spokesman revealed that six Arab infiltrates were killed by Israeli border police last week in six separate clashes, most of which occurred in the Gaza area. In the last few days Jewish guards at settlements in the Jerusalem area have repulsed Arab infiltrates and driven them across the Jordan border. One raiding party succeeded in stealing a quantity of irrigation pipe.