U.s.n.a. Urges Aliens to Register with Immigration Office
Menu JTA Search

U.s.n.a. Urges Aliens to Register with Immigration Office

Download PDF for this date

Aliens in the United States were reminded today by United Service for New Americans that they must report their addresses to the U. S. Commissioner of Immigration during the month of January or face severe penalties for failure to do so.

In a memorandum to some 300 local cooperating committees throughout the country, Arthur Greenleigh, executive director of the voluntary immigration agency which has helped 150, 000 Jewish survivors to come and settle in the United States since the war, pointed out that wilful failure to comply with this provision could result in fines, imprisonment and even deportation.

Aliens over the age of 14 should obtain an Annual Address Report Card (Form 1-53) from any U.S. Post Office or U.S. Immigration Office and fill it out according to the directions. The completed form should be personally handed to a clerk in any Post Office or Immigration Office. It should not be mailed. The parents or legal guardians of children under 14 must submit the report for them.

Founding Funders

The digitization of the JTA Archive would not have been possible without the generous support of the following donors:
  • The Gottesman Fund
  • Righteous Persons Foundation
  • Charles H. Revson Foundation
  • Elisa Spungen Bildner and Robert Bildner, in honor of Norma Spungen
  • George S. Blumenthal
  • Grace and Scott Offen Charitable Fund