NEW YORK (Jun. 13)
Several hundred leaders ingovernment, medicine, education, science and the arts today participated in the laying of a cornerstone in the Bronx for the Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University. The College will admit its first class in September, 1955.
In the evening, 1,000 persons from all parts of the country attended a dinner celebration at the Waldorf-Astoria. It was announced there that more than $350,000 was contributed in commemoration of the laying of the cornerstone. To date, $5,700,000 has been contributed towards the $10,000,000 needed to construct and equip the College of Medicine.
The cornerstone laying ceremonies for the first medical college under Jewish auspices to be established in America were marked by a procession of more than 60 leading officials of national organizations and voluntary hospitals. Each deposited a document relating to the history of his organization in a time capsule, which was encased in the cornerstone.
Also encased was a copy of a petition filed in 1654 by the Amsterdam Jewish community in behalf of 23 Brazilian Jewish refugees who had just arrived in New Amsterdam. The original is in the possession of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania. The first Jewish settlers in America arrived on these shores just 300 years ago. Wielding the trowels for the cornerstone laying were Governor Thomas E. Dewey, New York State Attorney General Nathaniel L. Goldstein, national campaign chairman for the College, and Dr. Samuel Belkin, president of Yeshiva University.