Egypt Withdrawing from Talks with Israel; Informs U.N. Truce Chef

Egyptian Premier Gamal Abdel Nasser announced in Cairo today that Egypt is withdrawing from talks with Israel on the Egyptian border because of shooting incident Monday in the Gaza vicinity in which three Egyptian soldiers were reported killed and eight wounded. Col. Nasser said he has informed Gen. E. L. M. Burns, United Nations truce chief, of his decision.

Gen. Burns, who flew back this afternoon from Cairo to Israel, told reporters prior to his departure that he had a 90-minute talk with Premier Nasser and that he was hopeful that efforts would be made to resume the Egyptian-Israeli talks which were postponed indefinitely last week.

NEXT STORY