PHILADELPHIA (Oct. 18)
The creation of a single central organization for the health, welfare, communal and humanitarian work carried out by Philadelphia Jews has been accomplished here with the official birth of the new Federation of Jewish Agencies of Greater Philadelphia. The new central body is a product of the merger of the Federation of Jewish Charities, founded in 1901, and the Allied Jewish Appeal, established in 1938. The body officially came into existence with the recording of an order approving the consolidation by Judge Curtis Bok here.
The Articles of Consolidation signed by Judge Bok revealed that the new Federation started its existence with assets of $4,900,000, of which $300,000 is in real estate and the remainder in cash, securities and other personal property. Abraham L. Freedman, president of the new organization, stressed that the funds will be used only for the purposes formerly served by the agency to which they were originally donated. Fore most among the tasks facing the new group, he added, were participation in the current United Community Campaign here and preparation for the 1957 Allied Jewish Appeal drive.