NEW YORK (Oct. 30)
The Hebrew University of Jerusalem has acquired Israel’s first cyclotron, a six-ton, 100,000 volt apparatus purchased for a nominal sum from Cornell University, it was announced here today by Daniel G. Ross, national president of the American Friends of the Hebrew University.
Mr. Ross reports that the 20-year-old cyclotron, one of the first to be built in the United States, has been dismantled and is being shipped to Jerusalem for reassembly and use by the University’s Department of Physics.
The cyclotron was obtained as the result of a timely visit to the United States this summer of Dr. S. G. Cohen, head of Hebrew University’s Experimental Physics Department. The cyclotron will be used to train Israeli scientists in various nuclear techniques and for research studies in nuclear reactions.
Hebrew University’s cyclotron was built at Ithaca in 1936 by Dr. M. Stanley Livingston, who had been associated with Ernest O. Lawrence-in the construction of America’s first cyclotron at the University of California in 1932.