HEIDELBERG (Sep. 3)
Dr. Konrad Adenauer, Chancellor of West Germany, has contributed 1,000 Deutsche marks to help renovate and redecorate an old synagogue at Sandhausen, near here.
The Sandhausen synagogue was purchased by the Jewish community in the small town, in 1821, and consecrated as a Jewish house of worship, after the structure had served for some years as a Christian church. Perhaps because it was originally a church, the building escaped destruction during the Nazi regime. The interior, however, is in bad disrepair.
The Heidelberg Society for Christians and Jews has started a campaign to renovate the synagogue both inside and outside. Dr. Adenauer’s contribution is one of the first received for the project. The local Historical Conservation Commission is aiding the project, and it is expected that an appropriation will be voted after the summer recess by the parliament of the State Government of Baden-Wurttemberg. Under the plans, the renovated synagogue will contain a special hall honoring the memory of victims of Nazism.