BUENOS AIRES (Aug. 23)
Alfredo Vitolo, Argentine Interior Minister, denounced today the attack last week by a nationalist anti-Semitic student gang on a group of Jewish students at the Sarmiento National High School here in which one Jewish student was shot and seriously wounded.
“We will not tolerate the spectacle of religious and racial struggle,” the Minister said. Doctors reported today the condition of the wounded student, Manuel Trilnik, to be improving. He was shot under the heart.
The Interior Minister said he had ordered an investigation of the attack, in which a number of students of the Buenos Aires Catholic University took part. He expressed the opinion that the Tacuara movement, to which the student assailants belong, was composed of former members of the Peronist movement and other nationalists.
Condemnation of the attack also was formally expressed by officials of Buenos Aires University. The Argentine Jewish representative organization DAIA had charged, following the attack last Thursday, that federal and local authorities had consistently ignored DAIA warnings about conditions in the school which culminated in the assault.
The assailants had shouted “Long Live Eichmann” as they waylaid the Jewish students in the street. The DAIA said it had notified Dr. Vitolo and police officials that the Jewish students had been threatened and asked the authorities to take preventive action, a proposal the DAIA said the officials had ignored.