JERUSALEM (Sep. 10)
Hebrew street-signs are up again in the Old City, now East Jerusalem.
Municipal officials in the re-united city have restored the tri-lingual street-signs — in Hebrew. Arabic and English — which were used in Jerusalem prior to 1948, when the city and all of Palestine were under the British Mandate.
After the War of Independence in 1948, when Jerusalem was divided between Israel and Jordan, the Jordanians tore down the Hebrew name-plates in their portion of the city. These have now been restored.
An order vesting ownership of the Old City’s Jewish quarter in the State of Israel is due to appear this week in the Government’s official gazette and to be signed by Finance Minister Pinhas Sapir. The acquisition will facilitate a planning survey of the quarter, so that it can be reconstructed as a major national site of religious and historical interest.