TEL AVIV (Oct. 5)
Israel said today that its forces repulsed a large scale Egyptian commando attack under cover of a heavy artillery barrage across the Suez Canal. Other Israeli forces raided two Lebanese border villages yesterday and blew up 20 buildings which had been used by Arab guerrillas responsible for recent attacks in Israel.
An Israeli military spokesman said that two Israeli soldiers were killed in the Canal Zone fighting and that five Egyptian soldiers were killed in the landing attempt and three were wounded, one of whom died later in a hospital. Egyptian casualties were considerably higher however and a number of bodies were believed to be still floating. Israeli jets later carried out a punitive raid on Egyptian positions on the western shores of the Gulf of Suez.